Sunday, January 13, 2013

This is where funky meets mid-mod! How about some Telefunken! And a bit of vintage Henredon!

We have been having some seriously good luck lately acquiring some great new pieces and here are just another couple of examples!
 
 
 
 
I'm not sure where that blotch on the first pic came from, but it's certainly not on this very understated Henredon beauty! This chunk of MCM gorgeous is in the catagory of way above your average piece of furniture! Heredon is synonymous with quality and this one is the real deal! Really nice walnut veneers and hardwood pulls, apron and legs with solid brass hardware. One super nice piece that will outlast us all! Although I believe the company is still in business, I know they are not making this kind of kick ass quality anymore! And I'm sure it's no longer made here in the USA...
Anyone know the suite name?
 
Let's funk this up a bit. We just picked up this German made Telefunken stereo console for a pretty nice deal. Those crazy and efficient German engineerers actually made stuff that may last for awhile and this piece is no exception.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Sure it's got a few finish issues, but nothing that can't be pretty easily rectified. I would have picked this for the cabinet alone. It's got tons of storage around the components. The top is solid and access to the stereo and turn table is all through the front of the cabinet leaving the top totally open for your big screen if that's your thing. Sliding doors to access each side is just way too fun, and this piece has some great lines! Likely early 60's...
 



 
Complete with the 45 spindle and all the original books.
To be honest, I would have been happy with just the cabinet in the shape it was in. The bonus was that the stereo worked when I took possesion and the speakers still sound great!
Extra bonus was that the turntable, after a bit of manual help, managed to spin up to speed and sounded great as well. I don't think the platter had turned for very many years and I'm thinkng I'll take and have seviced before I sell or maybe just keep for myself. This piece is going to be hard for me to give up for sale. Keep what you love and give the rest a loving home...I'm really on the fence on this one...
 

 
 
 
 

16 comments:

  1. That Telefunken is amaaaaaaaaaaazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definetely don't see these on a daily basis, much less get a shot at one. Diligence and a lot of luck reeled this one in...

      Delete
  2. Um, wow. The stereo is super fantastic. Love the layout of the components.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is really the best of so many worlds. It's a great piece of mid-mod eye candy by itself, but with the working components and all the space left behind the sliding doors, I'm going to have some competition for this when I take it in the store.

      Delete
  3. OMG! That looks just like the Telefunken my parents had when I was growing up! Brings back a lot of memories!

    Lee Ann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky you to have had one in your home growing up! I seriously doubt another of these will cross my path in this lifetime, but hey, you never know what will walk in the door!

      Delete
  4. I'm with all the others, the Stereo is a great piece!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was indeed a nice find and it's cleaning up nicely. I'll likely take to our local audio pros to try and bring the turntable up to speed if it doesn't run too high. Always have customers looking for sliding door credezas and this is so much more! She's a beauty!

      Delete
  5. Dave you need to come north of the border, I actually have seen a few German stereo cabinets Grundig and Kuba at the thrift shops and at auctions the past two years. I always pass them up simply because of the real estate they take up and the old technology can be a nightmare. They did build quality speakers though. Can't wait to see how yours turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that may be a bit too far north for picking. I'm always on the lookout for nice modern lined stereo cabinets working or not. And modern lined credenzas, especially with sliding or tambour front load doors are hard to come by and sell quickly. This was the best of both worlds!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous Telefunken! I own a 1958/9 Telefunken Musiktruhe Wien III U. Mine has a Stereo-Zweikanal-Verstärker (likely either an S80 or an S81 model) tube amplifier and two satellite speakers that connect to the amp. My amp also has a button for a reel-to-reel but I'm not sure my unit originally came with one.

    I see from the pic of the manual you included that you've got a Hymnus Hi-Fi Model 5116 Wk. Since the model 5014 Wk came out in 1960 or so, I would bet you're right about giving your model a date of c1962.

    Enjoy your purchase, it's gorgeous. I ADORE mine!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Patti, This is definetely a beauty! I hope to get it back out of the shop this week brought totally back up to speed. I also hope it doesn't punch too big a hole in my wallet :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi I recented came into a telefunken wien III u console. It has a radio. Reel to reel and hi fi. Anyone have an idea of its value. Working or not. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  10. Recently received a Telefunken wien III u console it also has a radio,record player. Was also wondering if anyone had any info on the unit would be very interested in learning more about it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just inherited one of these. It's mint condition. My grandfather brought it back from Germany when he was in the navy. I'm picking it up today so I haven't had a chance to play with it yet. Mine has the remote speaker as well that you can put up to 20 feet away from the main stereo. I also got a bunch of old 78 records too. It's not exactly the same as this one, but darn near close. Shortwave radio and turntable look the same but the cabinet looks a little different in the front...mostly bottom part where the speakers are. What do you think the value of mine would be... considering MINT ??

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi,I have one just like this .it is missing all the stereo parts but in great shape .Brought back from Germany in the 60`s by ex girl friends Father.
    How much would it be worth. kenor26@hotmail.com.
    Ken

    ReplyDelete