Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Dux all in a row and out for sale! Swedish dining set part 2!

I have to say upfront I was a bit apprehensive about whether or not I could do justice to this rehab project. This is likely one of the most high end and well constructed pieces of furniture I've had the pleasure to work on and this really needed to be done right. I suppose you readers can be my first judges!
I started with the backs as I knew these were going to be the toughest part of the project. I personally prefer to take on what I know are going to be the most challenging part of any project and hopefully it all becomes easier after that.



  
The first one turned out pretty well and after a test installation I had to tweak a few minor things but overall I think I pretty much nailed the rest. For the record, I always label all the pieces of a deconstruction to make sure every piece gets put back together exactly how it came apart. Actual people assembled these, not machines and they should all be treated as individual constructions.
Backs finally done and now on to the seats. I knew that I was cutting it close on the fabric and I literally had just enough and less than I would have liked. In laying out the seats I had to be very careful to make sure every cut would work. An inch one way or another would been a huge problem.
Here's the start:




The original seats on the side chairs were about an inch a half thick and although I could have my upholstery wholesaler order custom thickness I went with stacking another half inch with a bit of overlap to round out the seat edges and still give the same feel and comfort.



The blue 1 inch foam is of the high density type that has less give when compressed and makes for a more comfortable seat. The white half inch foam adds to the thickness and helps soften the corners for the upholstery and give the same overall thickness..







I've found this Locktite spray adhesive to be pretty effective for multiple projects. Good initial tack and still adjustable if you need to move something before it sets up With stacking the foam I needed it to stay in place for the fabric.

 
 It appears that all the framework was all manufactured in Sweden and then the upholstery work was done in California by union labor. No wonder they looked so good!.I did make a few adjustments as to how these were upholstered by myself as opposed to the original process I think the set turned out pretty swell!
Here are some pics of it in the store for your consideration. This is truly an heirloom dining set that I'm sure someone will appreciate for another 50 plus years!




The table is about 42 wide and 6 feet long without the leaves and will expand to about 108 inches and easily fit all 8 chairs with the leaves in if not 10. Gorgeous and timeless set!
Thanks as always for taking a look and you are welcome to comment or ask questions about the process.
A Modern Line



3 comments:

  1. Hi! I tried to email you on your website but the link does not work. What is the best way to find out about your current merchandise? I am looking for a table for my office. Thanks so much!
    Chris
    c_rossi@mac.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. That turned out to be an absolutely gorgeous set. You did an outstanding job of restoring it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again Dana, I was keeping my fingers crossed on this one. It's gotten a lot of attention already in the store and I'm sure it will find an appreciative new home soon!

      Delete