Saturday, November 26, 2011

Plycraft shell chair restoration part 3

Had some time after work the last couple of days to work on the Plycraft and so far so good. Shell is pretty much done with a bit of help with my Mohawk butane burn in knife and lacquer burn in sticks. Not that I'm very proficient with this tool but it helps out filling minor chips in veneers. I've seen some professionals that use the oven heaters and thinner blades do the most amazing restoration but this particular model was made for the road gigs. This takes a great deal of experience to acheive the best results and what I'm not yet capable off...Practice makes perfect kind of thing...
Did manage to fill some of the worst spots on the chairs without screwing them up too badly though. I need to keep working on this as it comes in handy for a lot of projects.

I'll try and get some after pics up with the final post for this but, as you can see there are some areas that need to be addressed. Couple of final touch ups on the shell, but overall I'm pretty happy with the progress so far but I'm saving the finished shell pics for the final post. Also happy with how the base is coming along. Top cap may have been originally chromed but so badly rusted that a satin black works for the piece along with the top caps for the feet...
As far as the fabric goes, my wife, who is a big collecter of vintage fabric, shopped around for something that may work and then we dug through our rather extensive bins of fabrics and found one that I thought might be a good fit. Everything we searched was $40 plus a yard and hey, if you can find something out of yor own stash the price is right and I think it works fine for this chair.
Here's some pics of the "easiest" part of the recovering areas, the seat and back...
 fabric laid out, cut and hopefully ready to start...


Finished seat and back...this vintage linen MCM fabric was not an easy material to work with...
It shifts very easily and keeping everything lined up was more fun than expected... Still looks pretty good for the price.  I really wantedd to go with something of a more simple atomic print but must say I like this for this chair...Next post is the finsihed project and I expect the side panels to  be a real pain... Just hope I can get it right the first time and not have too many staples to repull...
Thanks for taking a look a following along...
Hope to get the final results out soon!!



1 comment:

  1. OH wow! When I saw the fabric upside down in the 5th pic I was thinking it was going to be a subtle alligator skin print. That would have been pretty cool but that fabric is great! Very "Mod". "Butane burn in knife and lacquer burn in sticks"? Please...'splain what this is and what you are using it for. I got some veneer chips on my bases as well. Sounds like Voodoo or something.

    ReplyDelete